Saturday, July 14, 2012

Learn from my mistakes

So...in this process, to protect myself (so I thought), I had a lawyer adjust my contract with my editor. Friends and family backed my decision to do so. We talked about what I wanted and what needed to be changed in it if there would be a grievance filed.

What I thought it would do: Keep my work my work and make the process easier.

What it did: Kept my work my work, made me feel stupid and made things a pain.

***Note to self: Your editor is a great editor, who has been in the field much longer than you have. When she suggests something - DO IT! When she says "that's abnormal in a contract" - There is a reason.

Note to other authors in their first editing process: Get to know your editor, get recommendations from other authors for good editors and communicate with your editor.

I'll be surprised after I have the edits back on book 1 if she'll want to continue to work with me :(  I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment